Image Map

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Reading survey

Today was my first full day with my new firsties. They are a sweet bunch! I feel blessed. I had bought a unit from Abby Mullins which contained a First Grade survey.. It had questions about what  they felt they were good at, what they would like to learn, etc. The last was a couple of questions about their feelings about math and reading. I have to say they were truthful! I didn't expect to see all yes responses. But...I had most that either did not like reading or liked it sometimes. WHAT???? How could these kids be turned off to reading before we even begin?

You may look at that as a negative but I am actually glad I received those responses. Now I can have the joy of turning their thoughts into a love for books! I can hardly wait.

I think I have already begun just a bit. Today I read Mo Willems book: Leonardo the Terrible Monster.  And yes, the kids were totally engaged. My first "song book" was "I Ain't Gonna Paint No More". ( I don't care for the ain't--makes me shudder, but it is hilarious. Not one kid really "got" the part where they were supposed to guess the body part that rhymes with nut). But these same kids that don't like reading/books were asking to hear it again!

Oh, yes, this is going to be a great year!




1 comment:

  1. I agree with you! Getting those negative surveys just gives you something to refer back to at the end of the year. They won't believe they felt that way! Can't wait to hear how you work your magic!

    PS: LOVE both of those books- especially Leo!

    ReplyDelete