Image Map

Saturday, December 29, 2012

So Long...2012

Whew! I can't believe it will be 2013 when we return next WEDNESDAY! I am a little somewhat sad one to be returning in the middle of the week. After all, my mind plans for five day weeks. You know--beginning on a Monday and ending on a Friday.

With that little added bit, I've been trying to plan. Think and plan. Get motivated and plan.

We will do a little of Happy New Year. I have some collections of review and "fun" type activities that I managed to dig out of my files. 

Penguins and Tacky. I love Helen Lester's books. And...our Treasures basal story for the first week of Unit 4 is Birds so it stands to reason that I can do some fiction before we begin the non-fiction.

026

Abby over at The Inspired Apple shared a work station that she used. You can access the original owner here. We will review consonant blends and digraphs some before starting a new phonetic pattern.

I also want to do more vocabulary work. I had just introduced vocabulary journals in December. I will choose some words to work on that come straight from Tacky! Odd. Switch.  March. A great time to work with multiple meaning words and their use in context!

To go along with the Common Core I plan on letting small groups give the details of various "Tacky" books. 

024

I just printed labels similar to these and will use small chart paper for my firsties to use!

penguins1

We can move into the research area of Common Core when we learn more about them. I think I will combine this with the writing workshop time and let each child write their own researched project with a table of contents, drawing, captions, close-up, and map. It's always hard to fit science and social studies in the minutes of my day so I think this will work wonderfully. The above pic is from The First Grade Parade. 

And to conclude--a few pics of my firsties working with counting patterns.






No comments:

Post a Comment